Dear brothers and sisters,
Greetings in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ!
The past week has been traumatic for Egyptians. We witnessed bloodshed on our streets, vandalism and the deliberate destruction of churches and government buildings in lawless acts of revenge. One of our Anglican Churches was attacked, and other ministries received threats. We praise God that our churches and congregations are safe, but we grieve for the loss of life and for the churches which were burnt over the past week in Egypt.
The Anglican Church in Egypt serves all Egyptians, especially the disadvantaged and marginalized, through our educational, medical and community development ministries. We seek to be a light in our society, and we continue to serve our neighbours in the difficult situation which surrounds us. Unemployment is at a record high, there is a lack of security on the streets, the economy is in decline, and poverty is crushing for many people in Egypt.
We need your help
Through your support, we hope to help in the following areas:
- Provide basic needs for the poorest of the poor (food, health care, children’s education).
- Building the capacity of young adults in order to find work through vocational training and small business projects.
- Spiritual ministry.
Helping the poorest of the poor
In many cases these are the most affected by the situation in Egypt. As the church, we want to practically show the love of God and provide for people in this challenging time in Egypt.
Some examples of ways that you could give are;
- Provide a meal for a poor child ($1 US per day)
- Visit to a doctor ($2 per visit)
- Food to feed a family ($5 per day)
- Subsidy for nursery fees for a child ($20 per month)
- School fees for a year ($50 per year)
- Emergency surgical operation ($100 per operation).
Building the capacity of young adults
It is very difficult for young people to find jobs, and the Diocese is empowering young adults (both hearing and deaf) through vocational training and micro-loans.
Examples of this are;
- Vocational training for 2 months ($150)
- Vocational training for 6 months ($450)
- Loan for a small business project ($750)
We continue to serve our congregations, and to teach the Word of God. You can;
- Give a Bible ($3 per Bible)
- Transport for children to attend Sunday School ($20 per session)
- Subsidy to attend an Alpha Course ($20)
Please consider supporting us prayerfully and financially. If you would like to contribute financially, please give to one or more of the three categories above. If you send a non-designated donation then we will allocate the donation to the most needed category above.
May the Lord bless you!
To make a donation
If you are in the US or the UK, please contact our Partner Organisations
In Egypt or other countries, please contact the Diocese Partnership Office through Ms. Rosie Fyfe (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like to download a PDF version of the appeal: Special Appeal for Egypt (2013)